The man who allegedly harassed and assaulted a Filipino family at a McDonald’s drive-thru in North Hollywood last month has been arrested and charged with amplifying hate crimes.
Nicholas Weber, 31, was arrested in Orange County on June 16 at around 7:40 PM, Costa Mesa Police Department spokesman Roxi Fyad. said in a statement. Authorities reportedly received a call about a man who “possibly passed out on the sidewalk” and later identified him as Weber.
On Wednesday, authorities announced that Weber has been remanded to Los Angeles.
Weber, who was arrested under an open assault warrant from the Los Angeles Police Department, is charged with felony battery charges causing serious bodily harm and felony, both with improvements in hate crimes, court records show. He will be arraigned on Thursday.
More from NextShark: Asian women in tech experience more workplace discrimination than their white peers, new study says
†The unprovoked attack on members of our community is wrong and will not be tolerated,” LA County District Attorney George Gascón said in a statement. “Our message against violence and racial hatred must be loud and clear. We will hold the people who commit hate crimes in Los Angeles County accountable.”
†While it will take time for the Roque family and the community to heal, Weber’s arrest is a step towards justices for the Roques,” said Sandy Roxas, the Roque family’s attorney.
†Weber has long been held accountable for his actions and we hope this sends a message not only to the victims of Asian hate crimes, but also to the people who incite violence against our community,” Roxas added. “Putting pressure on law enforcement is key to fighting for justice, and I thank them for finally apprehending Weber.”
More from NextShark: Queens man with history of violence charged with assault on 2-year-old while sitting in pram
Weber was filmed harassment and assault a filipino family order at a McDonald’s drive-thru on Victory Boulevard in North Hollywood on May 13. The suspect allegedly hit Nerissa Roque’s car from behind, told her and her daughter Patricia they were “so Asian” and threatened to kill them.
The verbal altercation turned physical when Weber allegedly attacked Gabriel Roque, who arrived at the scene minutes after being called by Patricia. The 60-year-old father suffered a broken rib from the attack and Nerissa is believed to have suffocated when he tried to stop Weber.
Authorities took Weber into custody but released him the same night of the incident. An arrest warrant was issued when he did not appear in court on June 8
More from NextShark: Man stabbed to death after attempting to stop knife fight at 7-Eleven in Koreatown, Los Angeles
Activists gathered behind the Roque family on June 17 in front of the Van Nuys District Attorney’s Office, demand justice for the family and calling on officials to investigate and prosecute Weber for committing a hate crime.
†We are here to hold the government accountable for their lack of response and to demand that District Attorney George Gascon prosecute Nicholas Weber to the fullest extent of the law,” said Katie Joaquin, executive director of the Philippine Migrant Center.
Los Angeles County court records show that Weber has several arrests and convictions, including one in which he pleaded no contest in a DUI case in 2012. For that, he received a two-year state prison sentence, as well as a 180-day district court. imprisonment.
More from NextShark: Former Big Bang member Seungri will serve full 18-month prison sentence after appeal is rejected
Aside from the charges related to the Roque family case, Weber is also facing petty theft and public intoxication charges in a separate incident, which took place on May 31.
Featured image via ABS-CBN News